What & How
WHAT: Extraordinary wellness and prevention resource
Play Rugby, Inc (Play Rugby USA) is a 501(c)3 approved non-profit organization incorporated in New York. Play Rugby also has a chapter in California: Play Rugby – CA, inc. Play Rugby USA develops kids who are most in need of support by taking rugby-themed programming to them. Our philosophy is “Developing Youth through Rugby”.
We are the only national youth development organization to employ rugby at the programmatic core. We deploy an international system of coach recruitment, development and program support that integrates and augments (versus competes) with community efforts and programs. We offer supporters optimal return on social investment by maximizing volunteerism; overcoming typical cost constraints and consistently delivering on our mission.
We have served nearly 10,000 students in over 140 schools and community based organizations (CBO’s) and won national acclaim and endorsement for pioneering this unique and replicable youth development solution.
From our 2011 Site Director survey, 100% of Site Directors surveyed either strongly agreed or agreed:
- Student attendance was excellent or very good (>80%)
- Student behavior and cooperation improved, with less conflict being observed
- Students increased their physical activity levels
- Students were more knowledgeable about the benefits of regular physical exercise
- Students self confidence had improved
For more information on measured outcomes, click here.
Play Rugby USA has four inter-related program solutions:
- After School Programs: We form sustainable partnerships with schools and CBO’s to integrate our direct-service, curriculum-based youth development instruction into their sites;
- Enculturation and Competition: We offer all our young people an opportunity to compete and travel as part of a team through organizing community tournaments, events and leagues;
- Competency Training: We offer workshops and ongoing co-coaching programs for teachers, educators and parents to enable them to effectively integrate our curriculum into their programs;
- Sports Leadership Academies: Our SLA’s provide a comprehensive after school solution whereby we run the host-organization’s entire after school program, which includes: multi-team sports (including multiple rugby curriculum); fitness and nutrition; arts; and academic offerings.
Our Mission is underpinned by 4 founding development components: “To strengthen youth character, conditioning, community and academic commitment by integrating the core values of rugby into a distinct and inclusive teams sports experience”